In a recent interview with pro rider Reece Myerscough and engineer Sam White, they discussed the new Ocean Rodeo Double A Series Crave kite featuring the innovative Aluula material. This 10m Crave AA weighed in at 1.6 kg! Here’s an overview of their discussion:
- John Bryja, the publisher of Kitesurfing Magazine, introduces Reece Myerscough and Sam White.
- Reece is a strapless rider and Ocean Rodeo team member.
- Sam White is an engineer specializing in materials and research and development at Aluula.
- The focus of the discussion is the new Ocean Rodeo Double A Series Crave kite.
- This kite features the Aluula composite canopy material known as “Aeris-X.”
Eris X Material:
- Sam explains that Aeris-X is an advanced material used for the canopy, offering high stiffness and shape retention.
- The canopy comprises warp and weft fibers, along with a cross-ply X weave, all fused together for Aluula.
- This material is lighter and stiffer, making kites more responsive, suitable for various wind conditions, and extending the wind range.
- Sam emphasizes that Aluula materials make kites more versatile, with a wider wind range.
- Reece shares his experience riding the new Crave kite with Aeris-X material.
- He finds the kite super predictable, light, and responsive.
- Compared to the previous A-Series Crave, the new kite feels more controlled and allows for smoother maneuvers.
- He mentions that the Crave with Aeris-X is his go-to kite for various riding styles.
Adjusting Air Pressure:
- Reece mentions adjusting air pressure in the kite depending on the wind conditions.
- Lowering the pressure increases the kite’s flexibility and agility when not fully powered, especially for surf riding.
Kite Sizes and Range:
- Reece mentions riding the Crave in sizes 7, 8, 10, and 12 meters.
- He often chooses the 10 or 12-meter sizes, even in light winds, for improved versatility and early planning.
Advantages in Competitions:
- Reece highlights that the Crave with Aeris-X provides a significant advantage in competitions.
- Other riders complain when he’s on this kite because it performs exceptionally well in low-wind conditions, allowing him to execute tricks while others struggle.
- Sam mentions the Atom bladders, a new bladder technology used in the kite.
- These bladders are significantly lighter, contributing to the kite’s overall weight reduction.
- The bladders are 45 GSM, which is half the weight of traditional bladders.
Enhanced Flex in the Frame:
- Sam explains that they achieved enhanced frame flex by using lighter bladders with more torsional stiffness.
- The combination of stiffer bladders and a flexible airframe provides an optimal balance of control and responsiveness.
- Reece discusses the addition of pulleys on the kite’s bridles.
- These pulleys allow for a more open kite shape, providing better control in various conditions.
- In particular, it helps in the surf by allowing riders to stall the kite and choose the right moment to power through the power zone.
In summary, the Ocean Rodeo Double A Series Crave kite with Aluula’s Aeris-X material offers enhanced performance, versatility, and control, making it a top choice for riders like Reece Myerscough. The use of innovative materials and design improvements contributes to a kite with a wider wind range and responsiveness.