Red Bull King of the Air will take place within 24 hours. Stay tuned here and to our social channels for updates on the event and the latest weather forecasts.
|As the anticipation for the 2023 Red Bull King of the Air builds, the world of big air kiteboarding turns its eyes to the infamous Kite Beach in Table View, Cape Town. Renowned as the Capetonian Mecca of kitesurfing, Kite Beach is set to host an 18-rider lineup that promises to be nothing short of spectacular. The event’s weather window spans from November 25 to December 10, requiring wind speeds of 25 knots or higher as well as a decent swell to kickstart the action.The 2023 fleet, featuring the top three finishers from the 2022 competition, champions of the Red Bull King of the Air Qualifier Series, and victors of the Online Qualifier, brings together a blend of former champions, renowned big air competitors, and promising newcomers. These athletes will compete for the coveted title, demonstrating a combination of height, power, extremity, technique, and innovation. Here’s all you need to know:
– The Red Bull King of the Air has been a pivotal event in the evolution of big air kiteboarding since its inception in Hawaii in the early 2000s. Moving to Cape Town in 2013, it has been the single biggest driver of progression in the sport, with riders continually pushing the boundaries of amplitude, variety, execution, and difficulty of trick
– With the event’s weather window opening on November 25, the focus is on the unique climatic conditions essential for the competition. Sergio Cantagalli, Sportive Director of Red Bull King of the Air, explains that while there’s no minimum wind speed for starting the event, conditions typically start with an average of 25 knots (46kph), potentially rising to 35 to 37 knots (65 to 69kph).
Steve ‘Spike’ Pike, weather guru and founder of Wavescape.co.za, sheds light on the prevailing summer weather patterns. The South Atlantic High pressure system’s counter-clockwise flow forms the basis for the summer southeast trade wind, bringing warm, sunny days and consistent winds to Cape Town. This interplay between high and low atmospheric pressure shapes the ocean weather patterns, creating the ideal conditions for the southeast wind to strengthen, particularly in the afternoon.
– The west coast section of Cape Town, from Milnerton to beyond Big Bay, aligns well with the southeast wind, allowing riders to utilize the wind parallel to the shore. This creates excellent wave-riding opportunities, with the consistent summer swell offering a stark contrast to the often flat summer seasons in European countries.
– As the riders prepare to harness the power of the Cape Doctor, fans from around the world, especially from Germany and the Netherlands, flock to witness the thrilling spectacle, making Kite Beach a hub of international kitesurfing culture this summer.
– The stage is set, the riders are ready, and the winds are calling. The 2023 Red Bull King of the Air is not just a competition; it’s a celebration of skill, courage, and the relentless pursuit of pushing the limits of kitesurfing. As the event draws near, one question remains – who will be crowned the new King of the Air?
The 2023 fleet consists of the top three finishers from the 2022 competition, the champions of the Red Bull King of the Air Qualifier Series, and the victors of the Online Qualifier. This 18-rider lineup promises an electrifying mix of former champions, renowned big air competitors, and promising newcomers all vying for the throne. Our new King will be the one who combines height, power, extremity, technique, and innovation.
1 Lorenzo Casati – Italy
2 Jamie Overbeek – Netherlands
3 Andrea Principi – Italy
4 Beto Gomez – Colombia
5 Liam Whaley – Spain
6 Aaron Hadlow – England
7 Arthur Guillebert – France
8 Airton Cozzolino – Italy
9 Cohan van Dijk – Netherlands
10 Edgar Ulrich – France
11 Giel Vlugt – Netherlands
12 Jason van der Spuy – South Africa
13 Jeremy Burlando – Spain
14 Luca Ceruti – South Africa
15 Marc Jacobs – New Zealand
16 Stijn Mul – Netherlands
17 Timo Boersema – Netherlands
18 Josh Emanuel – South Africa
2023 King of the Air: Live Stream